top of page


Final Image copy.png




TCDLA Logo.png



How would you like to be contacted?

Thanks for submitting!





Brittany Carroll Lacayo
for a FREE case evaluation


If you were ever arrested for a crime a simple background check will reveal this information. Background checks are common and frequently occur when you apply for a job, loan, mortgage, financial aid, and even when you try to lease an apartment. Many colleges and graduate schools require that you disclose your criminal history. 

Texas law allows you to clear your criminal record in certain circumstances through a process called “expungement” or “expunction.” For example, if you were found not guilty by a judge or jury, or if the charges against you were dismissed you may qualify for an expungement. If you do not qualify for an expungement you may still qualify to seal your record through a process called a petition for nondisclosure. If you pled guilty to a crime and you were placed on deferred adjudication for a felony or a misdemeanor, in most cases your record can be sealed if you completed your community supervision. Additionally, the law has recently changed to allow people with a misdemeanor conviction or straight probation for certain misdemeanors, including a conviction or straight probation for driving while intoxicated, to petition for nondisclosure. Your record will not automatically go away upon successful completion of deferred adjudication or after a certain amount of time has passed. A nondisclosure order is required in order to seal your record.


If you are granted an expunction or a nondisclosure you can generally deny that you were ever arrested or prosecuted (except in certain criminal proceedings). After an expunction order or order of nondisclosure is granted you may deny that you were arrested or prosecuted on an employment, college, mortgage, or financial aid application. If you are not eligible for an expunction or nondisclosure, Mrs. Lacayo can help you determine if a writ of habeas corpus might be appropriate.


Mrs. Lacayo has provided more detailed information on expunctions, nondisclosures, writs of habeas corpus, and juvenile record sealing in sections dedicated to those areas.


Mrs. Lacayo has helped many individuals clear their records throughout the greater Houston area. Call the Lacayo Law Firm PLLC at 713-504-0506 to speak with her directly, or you can fill out an online case evaluation form to schedule a free initial consultation and case evaluation. A Spanish interpreter is available to translate. Mrs. Lacayo not only handles cases in Harris County, she will also accept cases in many other Texas counties, including Galveston County, Montgomery County, Liberty County, Fort Bend County, Chambers County, and Victoria County. To find out if Mrs. Lacayo will accept a case in your county please contact her office.

She also understands that communication with the client is the key to effective representation. She keeps her clients aware of what is happening with their cases at all times. She will ensure that you understand your options, so that you can make informed decisions throughout the process. She maintains flexible office hours and responds promptly to telephone calls. Mrs. Lacayo offers affordable rates and payment plans.

bottom of page